Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Hot Spell

We walked to the Pink Pony for lunch today. It's sweltering here in NYC, but you have to get out of the apartment or you will languish in somnabulality and fall into a deep sleep like Snow White on a fainting couch.
Me wearing a Tucker skirt and Zara blouse on the way to Pink Pony.
I love to mix prints like Celia Birtwell did in these drawings.
The aesthetic seems to align with this deco teapot.
The city is emptying out as people head to the country, the beach and other spots which will hopefully be cooler than here. It's Yankee Doodle time in the Big Apple.
After a lovely lunch, we walked back on Ludlow Street and found a strangely darkened store called Castle & Pierpont: Home & Garden, Flowers, Event Design and Production. It's owned by Rori Pierpont and carries an intriguing selection of textiles, costumes, vintage pieces and objects. She also rents out the space for events.

 Rori has an art background and it's evident in her artful displays.








 I purchased a sparkling diamond H at Castle and Pierpont
 which I promptly brought home and hung on my Inspiration Board.
 It's rather camouflaged among the prints.
Speaking of my inspiration board, I have been inspired by the feathers made by L.A. artist, Megan Whitmarsh, who recently had a show at the Jack Hanley Gallery in Tribeca.
Megan makes hundreds of these sewn feathers,
and she was kind enough to give me a gift of three of them.
 Since they are so inspiring, I pinned them on by board.

A Megan feather on a picture of chef Marcus Samuelson 
and his wife, Maya Gate Haile.
They look like beautiful twins. 
Maya is wearing a Suno blouse and Duro Olowu pants.
Megan Whitmarsh installing her show at Jack Hanley.
A pool theme will cool us if only mentally.
I am using these paints to adorn scallop and oyster shells.
A golden oyster shell. Since Richard aspires to eat 144 oysters a day
like Casanova did, I have an endless supply of shells.
Do you believe that Françoise Gilot,
 artist and one-time wife of Picasso, is 91?
 I just love the joie de vie of this photo of 
Princess Elizabeth playing tag on a ship in 1947.
 Ricky and Ralph Lauren, at their house in Montauk, Long Island
 where they have lived for 25 years. For some
reason, I imagine they are eating oatmeal.
 My sister, Jeanne, gave me these delightful glasses with painted ladies wearing chic chapeaux.
 A House in the Country. Let's go!
 A notebook waiting for our trip to France in September.
Happy 4th of July from these characters.
Ready for summer in the city in a Tucker sundress.

À bientôt!


4 comments:

  1. Every time I visit your blog...I think to myself that I need to start inspiration boards. Keep cool this 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to have found you and your blog in Bellas 40+ list.
    Brilliant having a new blogger friend.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swinging by from citizen rosebud. I'm glad to meet you. I'm originally from NY and love seeing picts of the city. I also love to make hats as a hobby, studied at FIT. So I was thrilled to find you. Small Blog world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Wow Wow! Every so often we find that blog that just jumps out and satisfies every bit of visual void we may have and yours is just that! Beautiful photos and subjects to feast my eyes on. I love those feathers, and so wonderful to see Francois photo. I had no idea she was still alive. I love her and was so inspired by her in a book I read two times on Picasso's life. Glad to see she kept painting, I'll have to check out more of her work.
    Great dress on you too! Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete